Enhanced curriculum with more focus on academic preparation
Set start dates for 10-week terms instead of continuous intake
Levels renamed to Pathway 1 and Pathway 2
Placement test required for new students and Heartland students in the General English Program
• Improve your English – Our courses are tailored to ensure you have the language skills necessary to excel in academic environments.
• Be ready for university or college – Our enhanced pathway program provides a more comprehensive academic preparation course, test preparation, presentation skills, study skills, and homework help to equip students with the tools they need to thrive in Canadian universities and colleges.
• Get university or college acceptance without an official proficiency test – Pathway graduates will receive a certificate and transcript accepted by university or college.
• Obtain a conditional admission to save your seat – Apply for university or college programs with the Heartland Letter of Acceptance to apply to our partner universities and colleges.
• Be supported – Benefit from personalized support and guidance, ensuring you have a smooth and successful academic journey.
• Be ready for life in Canada – Get familiar with your new home city, Winnipeg, before your academic program begins.
Pathway Program Details
Pathway 1 and 2 are 10 weeks each
An entrance test will be administered for all pathway students, including students in other Heartland programs. Students in Pre-Pathway Intermediate 2 will take a Pathway entrance test before starting Pathway 1. All Pathway 1 graduates take a final test before moving up to Pathway 2.
Pre-Pathway – Entry
Pre-Pathway – Intermediate 1
Pre-Pathway – Intermediate 2
Classes are Monday to Friday, 9 am to 3 pm.
9:00 – 12:00
Morning Class (Multi-skill classes, based on level) Break 10:30 – 10:45
12:00 – 1:00
1:00 – 3:00
Activity or Tutorial
(Students choose 1 option)
Break 2:00 – 2:10
3:15 – 5:15
Extra classes, workshops, guest speakers homework help and other activities are included.
Pathway start dates
5 start dates available throughout the year.
2024 Start Dates
January 1 March 11 May 21 July 29 October 8
Continuous intake isn’t available for Pathway in Winnipeg. However, continuous intake is still available for the pre-pathway levels.
How to apply:
Apply to Heartland online and click the Pathway box and select the Post-Secondary school you are planning to attend
Take an online placement test from Heartland to determine English Level
Receive Pathway Acceptance Letter from Heartland
Apply to the pathway partner college or university
If students test into a pre-pathway levels than the one they require for the pathway, they must complete the pre-pathway level(s) before they reach the level required to complete the Pathway program. Please note that this means students could spend between 10 – 50 or more weeks depending on their English level when they begin.
*Students interested in pursing a college or university program at one of our partner schools will need to meet with the admission requirements as set by their desired college or university.
If the pathway program is not what you are looking for, click on the following link to explore our other English programs
Click on the lists below to see our Partner Institutions details, program options and English level requirements:
In Manitoba we partner with:
Assiniboine Community College (ACC)
ATC (Arts & Technology Centre with Louis Riel School Division)
Booth University College
International College of Manitoba (ICM)
Manitoba Institute of Trades and Technology (MITT)
PACE (Professional, Applied and Continuing Education at The University of Winnipeg)
Providence University College
Steinbach Bible College
Manitoba Pathway Partners Requirements
In Ontario we partner with:
St. Lawrence College
Sheridan College Institute of Technology & Advanced Learning
Ontario Pathway Partners Requirements